Thursday, August 20, 2026

A knight's Tale



As with all tales there must be a beginning ......

The inspiration for this post is shown in the photo above of the splendid 'standard bearing' knight from Roy Selwyn Smiths 'Knights of Agincourt' range. The range of five mounted and five dismounted knights were sculpted in 1950 for Selwyn Smiths own venture, which failed when his American backer died in 1951. Original 'Selwyn Smith' figures command huge sums of money, due to the high quality of the paintwork and their very limited production run of a few months. Fortunately he sold the moulds to Britains in 1954 and they were kept in continuous production until 1966. 


I acquired this example at the last Stafford toy fair for £20 which was a fair price considering the condition. These mounted Knights are expensive, and my other three examples were very much 'indulgent' single buys over two or three years at an average of about £35 each. As regular readers know, I am a toy soldier enthusiast but a gamer first and collector second. I rarely acquire items just for display and indeed these expensive veteran Knights are used in my games. This example is the fourth of the series of five, leaving me one more to buy when opportunity and finance coincide.


It was £20 because it had definite signs of wear. The standard arm was detached and there was paint missing from the horses legs and elsewhere. I decided to buy it and 'touch up' the paint and add it to my medieval armies. You see the finished article which looks fine (in my eyes at least) and he looks good alongside his three fellow knights (all of whom are close to mint condition hence their cost).

They are in my humble opinion, the best toy knights ever made for mass commercial consumption, at least in metal....Britains Swoppet Knights must win the argument in plastic!


The five foot figures are not quite as nice as the mounted ones in my eyes, although still lovely figures. I just cannot understand why two of the five are charging an opponent with a couched lance! A spear maybe, but a lance? An odd choice. At present, I have examples of four of the foot figures and you may notice that I have attached them to mdf bases for stability. Heresy I hear you say , but they could be removed without damage and gaming practicality comes first here at Apperley Towers!


Speaking of which, four knights is no good as my preferred rules demand six or twelve in a unit. Well  a very badly damaged fifth figure was repaired and painted beautifully for me by my good friend John and I have since happened upon a sixth duplicate pose for two or three pounds which will do until I acquire an example of the missing fifth figure pose.


This brings me neatly to a mystery which I doubt I will ever get to the bottom of. A few years back I was lucky enough to acquire from another great friend and toy soldier enthusiast, John Begg, four unpainted castings of the mounted knights. I cannot be 100% certain, but John had acquired a few auction lots from the estate of Roy Selwyn Smith and I think these may have come from that auction. All four are stamped Britains under the base, but three of them are solid cast (and weigh double the weight of the Britains hollow cast versions) with only the fourth being a hollow cast figure. They have all been expertly 'tinkered with' in small ways, ie a tuft of grass under a raised hoof, a new banner, lance pennants added, and the sword carrying figure has a lance arm instead. In the original Selwyn Smith range the lance arm was an alternative version to the sword arm but this was never replicated by Britains. Finally, some of the bases are soldered on in different places, but still look factory finished. So what is the origin and story of these four knights?



The fact that three of them are solid cast, would suggest home recasts. This is a perfectly reasonable option but they just don't 'feel' home cast. For a start, they are identical in size to my Britains originals, ie no mould shrinkage. Secondly, the soldering of the bases looks identical to my factory Britains. Also, why recast figures that were not expensive years ago? Additionally, the modifications have a very professional 'old school' feel to them, ie done by someone with skill and experience. The lance arm on the usual sword carrying pose also raises its own questions. 


I asked James Opie for his opinion but he was unable to proffer a theory either. I am inclined to think these may be test casts retained by Selwyn Smith which he was 'tinkering around with', but its unlikely I will ever get to the truth. Either way, they are splendid figures and I am looking forward to attempting the painting when the stars align.


I want to paint them in a more detailed and complex heraldry etc, in the manner of the original Selwyn Smiths or the work of Courtney or Ping. Whether I am skilful enough (and hampered by my eyesight issues) remains to be seen. I shall start with the banner bearer who is going to carry the banner of Henry the 5th to accompany my Britains version of him.





Three cheers for............Heraldic Miniature Knights!




For anyone interested in toy Knights and heraldry, this book is an amazing and invaluable resource. I acquired the copy in my library by chance during the 1990's when I found it in a small bookshop in the town of Bewdley. It wasn't cheap....£20 or so, but as soon as I saw the wealth of colour photos of amazing toy and model knights by Courtney, Ping and a host of others I knew I needed to own it. A decision which I have never regretted and I never tire of revisiting it for inspiration and information. 







 As I hope you can see from the photos above, the quality of photography in the book is first class. Highly recommended!

Tara a bit!






19 comments:

  1. I love that they fit in with the Hong Kong Herald so well, stylewise!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are nice models Hugh. I ought to get a few of the mounted. I have lots of archers☺️

      Delete
  2. Very interesting post, not figures I knew anything about but they are lovely, very nice indeed. The unpainted ones are intriguing also and look great, should look great on the table top when they get their coat of paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. I am keen to paint them but at the same time hesitant. I want to do them justice!

      Delete
  3. Fascinating mystery surrounding the figures. I look forward to seeing them painted up . I had quite a few of the Herald figures, came in a big box, or so it seemed in my youth. . My Swoppets kept losing pieces and l found it annoying. I love d the simple, block colour vibe of the Herald figures. Post makes me want to rummage in the shed for my metal and plastic knights l have collected in the past ten years, the childhood ones long gone. A visually stunning post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Childhoods past and present are what we're all about AlanπŸ˜…
      Dig them out I would love to see what you have!

      Delete
  4. Lovely figures Graham and a fabulous book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack. The book is really excellent if toy and model knights float your boat!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful figures and amazing condition, they deserve pride of place on any wargame table. I think you're on the right track about the four unpainted figures, In his book Suspended Animation Peter Cole states that Selwyn Smith did the actual casting of his figures and quotes him as saying "they were supposed to be hollow but the foot ones never really were, I was still learning about lead casting" . He goes on to say that "Once cast the horses were soldered to the bases and various other loose parts were soldered in place". That would explain the figures being solid and the tinkering with tufts of grass and sword arm instead of lance. A Special Limited Edition of the Selwyn Miniatures Knights were offered in the early 1990's and the brochure states that after he had retired from Britains in 1985, "In 1990 Roy Selwyn Smith discovered in his loft 59 complete unpainted original 'Selwyn Miniatures' castings which are now 42 years old. In the 59 models, there were 34 mounted and 25 foot but only 47 will be offered for sale, 27 mounted and 20 of the much rarer foot, the rest being retained by his family." I think that you have 4 of the 7 mounted knights that were retained by the family and would have been included in the Selwyn Smith Estate sale. I wish you a fine eye and a steady hand for the painting of them, although I would be tempted to blow the family's inheritance and get them professionally done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for such a well written and informative comment Brian. I've learnt something new. I think these figures will always be a bit of a mystery but your theory is a fascinating one. I am happy to have a go at painting them but worried that my freehand skills might let me down. The 'Britains' finish I could knock out easily, its the 'Courtney /Smith ' finish I'm nervous about. I might just try one and see what happens! I need to get Michael B to paint the banner, as he's so good at flags!πŸ˜…

      Delete
    2. Very interesting, Brian. I wonder if any photos exist of the entire horse and foot castings?

      Delete
    3. If you are willing to take the risk in posting, etc, Graham, I shall be happy to oblige. I actually have a level higher than my typical, I'm tempted to think they do deserve such.
      Michael

      Delete
    4. Michael if you would be willing to apply your skills to the banner bearer, I would gladly post him to you by royal mail special delivery and pay for return by the same method. You have already proven your expertise with those wonderful French banners you kindly made for me.

      Delete
    5. I shall be happy to help. But we will need to discuss the preferred style with photos, so as to match the figure correctly to the set. For example, dark, black, or no outline to flat painted designs. Dark shading to creases, and light highlights. The preferred manner for the Face. The preferred system for representing chainmail. All can be duplicated but I must point out, I no longer use enamels, preferring acrylic paints. And then we come to the protective varnish. When you are back from your holiday, we can start the process.

      Delete
    6. That sounds great Michael. Thankyou!

      Delete
  6. I love this post, Graham. My very first thoughts were I cannot be alone in thinking these were the inspiration for the later Hong Kong Herald range? Now I see Hugh has voiced a similar view. I have always preferred the Heralds to the Deetail range as being more authentic, certainly for the English and French c1400. The horse furniture, animation, and anatomic style of these metal figures is a superior form of the later Herald, surely? As for those solids, you have already noted no reduction on the commercial originals, so unlikely to be recasts, but could these be the template models used in the commercial moulds, or promotional models for a future range? Like yourself, my collecting is justifiable in that they could be used in a wargame, so I guess they should be painted, it will also give them a better chance to survive the next fifty years!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its funny Michael but I had never made the possible influence/connection between the two ranges until now. I had some of the hk range as a child and ranked them equal to my timpo knights but below my Britains Swoppets!
      All of my toys , cheap or expensive, are liable to being called into action at any time! The only difference lies in my willingness or otherwise to paint them πŸ˜…

      Delete
  7. All beautiful figures indeed Graham! Good luck with your painting! I know that you are off to a great start if Michael is taking care of the flag, he is a true master indeed! I look forward to seeing the finished figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, I will have to 'up' my own game as a result! πŸ˜…

      Delete